Wednesday 16 March 2011

Hoaxes and Urban Legends

I often receive emails that are hoaxes or urban legends. It may not always go down well with those that sent the email to me, but I always try to reply and let them know it's a hoax.

Some of these hoaxes and urban legends are funny stories and good for a laugh, but some are just plain misleading. I don't know why, but it's always bugged me and I don't understand who would invent such complete fabrications. And these stories circulate the internet for years and years, and people change dates to make them seem new or more credible.

So I decided that when I receive one of these emails now, I'm going to post it here to "out" them.

If ever you're interested in checking a story is real or not, just type some key words from the beginning of the email along with the word hoax. You'll usually get some hits if it is from these credible (in my opinion) sites:

Hoax Slayer
Snopes
Urban Legends

My experience - if it sounds like a hoax or urban legend, it probably is.

No comments:

Post a Comment